Our mission is to be a rapid response communication platform that catalyzes, uplifts, and archives struggles for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We acknowledge that in the midst of COVID-19 many communities and grassroots organizing efforts have endured negative set-backs and various forms of oppression. Yet communities continue to rise and must adapt the Southern organizing movement to be there for those in need of solidarity and support. By maintaining multimedia and communication infrastructures, SPROUT will leverage digitals tools to surpass the limitations of geography and connect grassroots organizing efforts to new communities they could not reach before.
SPROUT is inspired by “Philly We Rise” (PWR), an innovative media and digital hub launched by the Media Mobilizing Project following the 2016 election.
We stand in solidarity with organizations that are fighting for justice for all and collective liberation. SPROUT roots it’s organizing and movement building values in the following principles:
- Housing is a human right. Everyone deserves to live in a stable environment with security, peace, and dignity.
- Healthcare is a human right. Information and services should be accessible to all regardless of socioeconomic status.
- All workers deserve a livable wage (at least $15 per hour), safe working conditions, and the right to form a union.
- Abolish the prison system and reimagine public safety and rehabilitation. No government or cooperation should profit off human suffering.
- Respect the dignity and well-being of immigrants, regardless of immigration status, while combating the root causes of global migration.
- Acknowledge the historic and contemporary genocide of indigenous communities and provide reparations for stolen and destroyed land.
- Stand in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and advocate for legal justice of racially motivated violence against black people.
- Empower young people to be decision makers and use their civic and political power to change their communities for the better
- Hold elected officials accountable for maintaining the status quo of white supremacy and for failing to act on issues that matter most to the public
- Be inclusive to queer, trans, and non-binary folx within the movement, and support struggles for self-determination and autonomy
- Challenge capitalism and normalize the redistribution of wealth. Poverty and vulnerability is rooted in systemic oppression, not created by people.
- Climate justice is an intersectional environmental issue, therefore we must advocate for both the protection of people and the planet.
Just like in nature, a flower or tree alone can be easily ignored and walked past. But when given the time to sprout and be connected to other seeds, flowers grow into bushes and trees into forests. To advance Southern movements, we’re committed to connecting with, listening to, and amplifying the voices and work of people on the ground.
SPROUT will be the first platform of its kind in the region, with content driven by, for, and about movement builders. As such, it’ll fulfill a critical grassroots communications gap in the South and help tell a new, collective story of community resilience and resistance.
SPROUT was created by the Southern Vision Alliance (SVA). SVA is a justice-centered, values-based “grassroots intermediary” that provides incubation, infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to frontline organizing in the US South. We’re dedicated to developing the sorts of relationships of trust and respect required for long-term movement building. SPROUT will build on our existing relationships while fostering new ones.
SPROUT and SVA are BIPOC-led, with roots in some of the most powerful movements for justice in the South, from abolishing the police to defending immigrant communities. We’re dedicated to the communities we grew up with and those that we know are in need of solidarity in the face of systemic injustice. Regardless of what happens in November, we believe we have a critical role to play in supporting Southern organizing and ensuring news and action opportunities are disseminated to those who need them most.
Would you like to contact SPROUT? Click here!